Once you’ve chosen the direction you want to follow for extending your home, whether it’s with a conservatory, orangery or have opted for a stand-alone garden room, the first thing to choose for your beautiful new structure is some stunning flooring!
Choosing an interior floor that is right for you and your lifestyle can be tricky, especially when there are lots of styles and materials available. Westminster Stone have a range of stone and porcelain flooring to cater for all, whether your tastes turn to aged and traditional, timeless and classic or cool and contemporary.
What should you look for in an interior floor?
Interior floors need to be practical and hard wearing, but most of us also want them to add character to the room we’re creating. The right choice of flooring should act as a backdrop, which complements furniture and soft furnishings.
Perhaps you want your new space to be warm and cosy to reflect the heritage of your property, in this case you might opt for a more traditional or aged floor, such as yorkstone of slate. If however, your tastes are more classic with clean lines and a timeless appeal then beautiful smooth, sandstone or limestone flooring might be for you.
Porcelain flooring is relatively new to the market and adds a new dimension to interior flooring allowing you to have the look and feel of natural wood or stone but in a smooth porcelain floor tile. As well as being extremely durable and low maintenance as interior flooring, porcelain is non-porous and slip resistant, so is ideal for areas around water, such as swimming pools, ponds and water features.
Take a look at the Westminster Stone Gallery for inspiration.
5 Design Tips
When planning your interior flooring, consider these simple design tips and acquire a floor you will cherish forever.
- Consider the period of your property and the style of your garden room and opt for a floor which will enhance both of these.
- Consider the orientation of your garden room and how much natural light it receives – this should set the tone for how dark you want the flooring to be. If you have patio or bi-fold doors you might also want to consider flooring that can run
outdoors too, for paths or a terraced area, to create a seamless indoor/outdoor finish.
- If possible, plan the whole room before choosing the flooring so that your choice complements the rest of your colour scheme.
- Garden rooms by their very nature can lead to children and dogs running in with muddy feet and paws. Consider a practical, hard wearing floor, which will be easy to maintain and keep clean (or opt for a dark floor so the mud won’t show!)
- Consider underfloor heating for cold winters as this can prevent the need for wall-mounted radiators whilst keeping your room cosy underfoot. All of Westminster Stone’s flooring ranges are compatible.
Westminster Stone are the UK’s leading manufacturer and retailer of stone flooring and paving with ranges which encompass reproduction, natural stone and porcelain. The diversity and character of products has led their paving and flooring to be chosen for many show gardens and exhibitor stands including RHS Chelsea Flower Show, Hampton Court and Chatsworth. Visit www.westminsterstone.com to get in touch and start discussing your project. T: 01978 710685